What's new
Anthro World Forum

This is an anthropology forum where we cover all sorts of topics and discussions. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts. Register today to become a member!

deleted

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
Jesus. Yazidi people can’t get a break. It’s sad.

I mean, I hate to sound like a bleeding heart liberal snowflake or whatever but the stories of Yazidi people who came to Canada as refugees, especially the women, and the trauma they went through, breaks my heart.

Heard a story of a girl who needed a taxi, and when the can showed up, the driver was a Sikh wearing a turban, and I guess the ISIS people who kidnapped and raped her wore turbans so that triggered her PTSD symptoms. The driver, being understanding, went against his religion and took his turban off so she could be more comfortable in his cab... guess you have to admire someone who has as much empathy as that taxi driver, because it seems empathy is a trait that’s looked down upon these days.

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
I am sure that Canada is the best country for them to start a new life. But I hope that one day their children and grandchildren will return to their homeland again. Personally I have never been in my own homeland, but I do hope that one day I can return back and spend my days as an old man in my own fatherland.

Well, Canada could be a good country to start a new life, if our capacity for treating mental health issues was much better. A lot of these people are so traumatized by what they have been through that they are unable to do basic things like hold down a job or go to school, which makes starting a new life difficult. And they are looking at at least a 3 month wait for treatment for PTSD and other difficulties because mental health is so underfunded up here (despite the fact that the government takes half my paycheque, I wish they would use more of my tax money to fund mental health). Like, this lady I mentioned couldn't even get in a taxi. Some of them have PTSD so bad that they developed mutism, so completely unable to talk. Shit. Like what the hell happened over there? Or do I even want to know?

But, as proud as I am to be Canadian and how much I love my country, it's not ideal for people to have no choice but to move here. In my ideal world, the only people who would move to Canada are people who want to because there's a job here they want, they fall in love with and marry a Canadian, or they just like it here so choice, not fleeing. I mean, their children and grandchildren might lose a lot of the culture, too, which is sad in its own right.

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
There is nothing wrong with Canada. Those people belong to a lost generation. They don't even care they are alive. But there is hope for their children. I'm sure that their children will help to make Canada even a better place.

Well, we have a crisis of mental health here, getting more acute during the pandemic due to more people being under financial stress and being unable to have the human contact they need because of social distancing, but actually the situation of Yazidi refugees and their struggles with mental health issues raised the red flag years before, but nothing was done. I think if governments had taken the lessons learned from the situation of these refugees and made the necessary fixes to the mental health system back then, we may be better off in the pandemic now. Know what I'm saying?

I also don't think anyone should be miserable. They need to be treated, and be able to live a normal, happy life again (or at least try).

And yeah, I am sure their kids will be successful. Interestingly enough, children of refugees tend to be richer than the general Canadian population. Don't know why that is, but I have my theories. Refugees for some reason tend to be entrepreneurs and open businesses that provide goods and services that people actually use regularly... instead of opening restaurants, bars, or whatever (you know, places you only patronize if you have extra money to throw around), they tend to open things like auto repair shops, tailors, dry cleaners, etc.. you know, services you actually use more regularly.

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
How bad is it getting over there? My boyfriend is a medic and he’s going to be sent over there I think in the New Year to help treat injured civilians.