What's new
Anthro World Forum

This is an anthropology forum where we cover all sorts of topics and discussions. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts. Register today to become a member!

Cajun French

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
So yeah, today at work I was on a conference call with some folks from the Baton Rouge office of the company. I was working from home and my shithead of a cat got up to some shit (he likes knocking pictures off the wall) and I forgot to put my phone on mute when I yelled at him in Acadian French. Dude heard it and thought I was from there. I’m like “Nope. From Scotia.”

Now he calls me every time he has a technical question, but like him, I have no idea WTF I’m doing 😅

Turns out we could possibly be related though. There is some family lore in common.

IberoTarasco

Staff member
Country
United-States
So yeah, today at work I was on a conference call with some folks from the Baton Rouge office of the company. I was working from home and my shithead of a cat got up to some shit (he likes knocking pictures off the wall) and I forgot to put my phone on mute when I yelled at him in Acadian French. Dude heard it and thought I was from there. I’m like “Nope. From Scotia.”

Now he calls me every time he has a technical question, but like him, I have no idea WTF I’m doing 😅

Turns out we could possibly be related though. There is some family lore in common.
Scotia, California?

SavannahCatGiannis

Country
Canada
Scotia, California?
Nova Scotia, Canada

Cajuns are descendants of Acadians expelled from Nova Scotia during the Seven Years War (or the French and Indian War as it’s called in the US). Some evaded capture, hid in the woods and launched a guérilla warfare campaign against the British. I’m a basically a descendant of those folks.

But yeah, the dialects are pretty similar. That Jourdan Thibodeaux guy sounds more like he’s from here than Louisiana when he speaks French, really. I find folks from Louisiana kind of have a drawl, I guess similar to how English-speaking people do (though it’s not as pronounced).

Last edited: